How Do I Change My Will?

It is important that you do not change your will by handwriting corrections on the original executed document. These changes may or may not be enforced by a Louisiana court if it is found that you have not followed specific form requirements.

You should not give verbal instructions of your changes to relatives or friends. Verbal wills or changes are not recognized under Louisiana law.

If you do have changes to your will, you should contact an attorney. This will insure that your intentions will declared legally.

You should execute another will revoking the previously executed will that you wish to change. You can also execute a codicil which is an short will adding or deleting provisions of the original will. However, it is very important to remember that these documents must follow specific form requirements. If they are not executed in the proper form, they will not be recognized or enforced by the court.

If you have any questions, you should consult an experienced estate planning attorney. Kent S. DeJean

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s